Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Oh the Drama...Part Deux!


Sooo...I'm typing this from my hospital room - room 541 to be exact, where I've been for the last 4 days. Let me back it up a sec and rehash what's been going on.

We had an appointment with our OB on Tuesday and I let him know that I had been having a little trouble breathing. Nothing crazy, but just couldn't get a good deep breath in. The appointment went fine and he suggested I go see the cardiologist the next day just to make sure. Okay, no biggie. I slept great that night and on Wednesday, actually felt fantastic. I even thought about not going to the cardiologist, but Jim suggested I should anyway. The cardiologist is three floors above my OB, so there I was, getting an EKG. The EKG lasted less than a minute it seemed like and it was normal. Prognosis? Welcome to the 3rd trimester and everything was just being pushed up. Sounds about right. I walked out of the cardiologist's office and was ready to run errands for the day...you know, go to Gap Maternity and perhaps the gym.

On my way out, I decided to use the restroom. Without getting too graphic, I noticed some spotting and my heart immediately started beating. I finished up and called Jim. Since I was 3 floors above my OB's office, I decided to go straight there. Dr. Fabulous was in the middle of surgery, so one of his partners did a cervix check and he said that I wasn't significantly dilated, but was 'about' 1cm. He did an ultrasound and Punkin Noodle was doing fine. He told me right then and there that he'd have to admit me and to sit tight while he called Dr. Fabulous. I called Jim and my mom immediately to let them know what was going on and told Jim to meet me at the hospital. I walked across the street and headed to check in at...labor and delivery. Which seriously scared me. Jim showed up not too long after and Dr. Fabulous came to find us right before we got into my room. He said that they're going to start a magnesium drip and give me some steroid shots for the baby's lungs and that I'll be monitored while on bed rest.

Day 1 started with a continuous monitor on the baby and contractions. It showed I had some mild contractions, but I couldn't feel anything. The mag drip started too and omg was that a doozy! I felt so cross eyed, hot and my arm ached from it! I had some visitors and was exhausted by that night. Unfortunately, I was so anxious that I couldn't sleep. The nurse gave me an ambien and it didn't kick in until about 5am, so I was up all night...exhausted, anxious and just not feeling like myself whatsoever. I don't do well with anything that makes me sleepy to begin with - not even cold meds, so I should've really known better than to take the ambien, but I did anyway...and found myself up all night. :/

No comments:

Post a Comment