Wednesday, June 29, 2011

No Cupcake For YOU!


Dear Cupcake,

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways. Your banana dark chocolate makes me smile from head to toe on Mondays, Thursdays and Sundays. Yes, I do know your schedule, as in when you make your appearance at Sprinkles. The soft, buttery, yet light, dark chocolate frosting engages my lips and it's such a delight. Sometimes I even purposely like to get some frosting close to my nose because your fragrance is scentsational. I peel back the liner so that I can get my perfect ratio of 60% cake and 40% frosting in the first bite. That ratio, by the way, makes my palette dance. After each bite, I peel back more of the lining, make my way around your circular shape and wash you down with my other pal, ice cold sparkling water. I do this dance until you are all gone, where I then proceed to let out a big contented sigh. Speaking of contentment, I want you to know that I am very happy with you. Very happy. In fact, too happy. BUT...ah, we both knew that word was coming, didn't we? But, sadly, I'm going to have to part ways with you. Don't get me wrong! It's not you, it's me. I know people say that all the time, but this time it really is the truth! Believe me, I want to love you and I do enjoy spending time with you. It's just that...well...for some reason, I can't handle you. Dr. Fabulous called today and said that you weren't exactly the best thing for mine and Punkin Noodle's health. I still didn't pass my 3 hour glucose tolerance test (GTT) a couple of days ago and frankly, that makes our relationship toxic. I'm not really sure how it happened, but I have gestational diabetes. He told me that my numbers were as follows:

Hour 1 - glucose should be or below: 180; My reading: 182
Hour 2 - glucose should be or below: 150; My reading: 142
Hour 3 - glucose should be or below: 130; My reading: 135

And while those numbers are certainly not so high that we should forever not be friends, they're still not where they're supposed to be. I know, I know...I thought that gestational diabetes was for those who ate like 20 of you every day too. I guess we can both squash that rumor because even someone who eats healthy, exercises and only indulges in your sweetness once in a while can be affected. I'll be visiting a specialist next week to figure this whole thing out and until then, it's just best if we don't contact each other. I bid you farewell.

'Til we meet again,
PJD

2 comments:

Cristina said...

:-( so sorry that your relationship is ending.. well it is on standby, right? It is for a good cause! love reading your blog ;-) baci

The de Leons said...

Thanks, Cristina! Miss you...baci bella!

Post a Comment