Sunday, September 16, 2012

Celebrate!

A year ago today, Jim and I were at Target stuffing our cart full of baby necessities.  We had some stuff...what people had mailed to us from my postponed baby shower, as well as tons of gift cards from my school baby shower, but believe it or not, we had no diapers whatsoever.  Once we got all that we thought we'd need, we headed to the NICU.  I remember feeling anxious and emotional...and very excited.

After 51 days in the NICU, we were on our way to bring our Punkin' Noodle home.

I'll never forget the day I was discharged from the hospital.  It sure wasn't what I had in mind.  There I was, carefully getting into the car, and finally heading home after a month in the hospital.  James stayed behind in the NICU.  It wasn't exactly how I pictured this moment in my head.  I knew in my heart that it was what was best for him, but my emotions got the best of me.  I held back tears until we got home and I laid in bed.  I remember taking a little nap and then we headed right back up to the NICU to visit James.  Believe it or not, we settled into a routine and it wasn't long after that I decided to go back to work to start off the year.  Looking at it now, in hindsight, I realize I made the right decision.  It kept our little family sane and emotionally strong.  The day we brought James home was amazing.  Glorious, even.  The abundance of love and thankfulness we had that afternoon made the wait to take him home worth it.  Our new life as a family of three had finally begun and we were off to experience it together.

I will never forget that day...how I felt...happy, scared, worried, thankful...absolutely elated.

All this being said, we decided to celebrate.  So today, we did just that.

And with a cupcake of course!


We love you, James! 


Loves,
PJD


No comments:

Post a Comment